Sunday, October 4, 2009

Died on this date:

Janis Joplin aka "Pearl"
Singer
Jan. 19, 1943-Oct. 4, 1970
(Age 27)


I'm about to commit boomer classic rock apostasy with this one.  OK.  Here goes.  In my opinion Janis Joplin was the most overrated singer to come out of the late 60's San Francisco scene.  I am fully aware that I'm in the minority on this and that she still has rabidly devoted fans.  One song, "Piece of My Heart" was pretty good mainly because I like the shredding guitar part and the backing by Big Brother and the Holding Company.  Other than that, her music was unlistenable then and dated and unlistenable now.  A voice like the proverbial "fingernails on a blackboard."  As you can see I'm not a big fan.

Died a stereotypical rock star death.  Heroin overdose exacerbated by alcohol abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment