Sunday, November 29, 2009

Died on this date:

George Harrison
Musician/Beatle
Feb. 25, 1943-Nov. 29, 2001
(Age 58)




Being a drummer, I was a big admirer of Ringo, but George was my favorite Beatle.  He had an unassuming manner and a sly sense of humor.  George always gave the impression that he'd be a good bloke to sit down and have a drink with.  (Ringo, you're invited also.)

As a musician George Harrison was a great guitarist.  Like Ringo on the drums he wasn't flash but everything he played was perfect.  He consistently makes the Top Ten lists of best guitarists.  In his best moments his songwriting equaled that of his more prolific bandmates.  Don't Bother Me,  If I Needed Someone, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps are all classics.

His post Beatles career was hit and miss in my opinion, but The Traveling Wilburys is a capper that anyone would be proud of.  (It doesn't hurt to be joined by Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan.)

From complications of cancer.  George was cremated and his ashes scattered in the Ganges River.

Here is an acoustic version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment