Monday, July 6, 2009

Funeral Home Stories

Every once in a while I'm going to use this blog to pop in a funeral home story or two.

I was cleaning up today after a large service and I was reminded of something that happened to me a few years back. As you might imagine, a funeral home in terms of busyness is not like...say...a McDonalds. That is to say, there is a measurable amount of downtime. (We are considered a fairly busy funeral home, by the way.) So on this one morning we only had one overnight death (and yes, like being born, becoming dead seems to happen mostly at night)so I was taking a few minutes to clean up the bathrooms before the next of kin showed up. Suddenly I looked up and the office manager was bringing the deceased's elderly siblings to the arrangement room. As I hurried to put the bucket and the mop away I overheard the woman say to the man, "I don't know if we're going to be able to afford to bury Jerome here, Ralph. For god's sake, even the janitor wears a suit."

No comments:

Post a Comment