Saturday, January 16, 2010

Movie Recommendation...

I threw this one into my queue on Netflix since I've been waiting for Inglourious Basterds and The Hurt Locker since their release dates.



I remember reading a positive review of Der Baader Meinhof Komplex when it came out so I thought I'd give it a try but didn't have much in the way of expectations.  Wow!  Was I surprised.  Believe me when I tell you that you will be absolutely riveted by this two and a half hour German film with subtitles about the Red Army Faction (Rote Armee Faktion) terrorist group that robbed and murdered it's way across Germany and Western Europe during the tumultuous 60's and 70's.  (I know my readers are smart and not scared off by subtitled films.)

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex grabs you from its opening scene and keeps you in the grip of its fascinating story all the way to the end.  Part political thriller, part police procedural and a well crafted character study that explores how the seduction of violence is equal to ideology in the making of terrorists.

A 2009 Academy Award Nominee for Best Foreign Language Film.  You have to see this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment